Monday, April 4, 2011

Do you speak another language?

I've always enjoyed learning languages. I don't know much besides English (my mother-tongue/native language) however I also know a few words or phrases in Swedish, Japanese and Filipino.
My father is Swedish and my mother (who's Australian) live in the country and learnt the language. I studied Japanese in high school and I work with a lot of Filipinos so I picked up bits and pieces.

I think learning another language is fun and its a great way to meet people and break the ice. I love meeting someone from, say, the Philippines and saying hello to them in their tongue and watching the looks of surprise and delight on their face. Its great fun. I meet interesting people and they love that I've made the effort and tries to connect with them- especially if they're a little unsure of their English skills.

However I am aware that some other Aussies are a little puzzled, confused or down-right annoyed at my learning another language.

That was re-enforced for me at work the other day. I was in the staff lunch-room and chatting to a couple of Filipino women. I was showing them the words I knew and they were giggling and chatting happily to me. A female department manager over-heard my conversation and was totally puzzled and confused as to why I was taking the time to learn their language. "Was I planning to go to the Philippines?" the department manager asked. "Nope," I said. "So why are you learning the language?"she asked. "Because I want to, because its fun," I said. She seemed genuinely amazed that someone would actually take the time to learn the language 'for fun'.

Am I missing something here? what's so wrong in that? I don't think she was being racist, I think she was genuinely confused.
Hey, maybe I will visit the country one day. If I do I will have an advantage, I'll know some language and chances are I'll have made some new friends who will be only too happy to host me and show me around. Learning languages is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment