Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Emily Barker

I've just tracked down the website of a young singer named Emily Barker and I've really been enjoying her latest tracks. You can find her via http://www.emily-barker.com/, or go to YouTube or iTunes and search for "Emily Barker" or "Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo" or "The-Low-Country".
The Low Country was the name of her previous group and they classed their music style as Alt-Country. My Mum has a copy of one of their CD. Lost track of her for a couple of years so she must have broken up with The Low Country.
I was at school with this girl; or rather she was a year below me. She was a singer then and had an amazing voice even then. At school Emily was part of a four-piecee all-girl group calling themselves RAJE, based on their initials. Both her parents were teachers, I never had her mum Ingrid as a teacher but her dad Don was my year 6 teacher. Her dad had a big interest in horticulture and they had a beautiful property on the banks of the Blackwood River in Bridgetown. However my biggest memory of Mr B as a teacher was getting taken out on numerous excursions to go birdwatching as that was another one of his loves. Emily's siblings are also musicians, singers and artists.
Emily Barker was not only a good singer, but was also a really nice person. I used to be a journalist for one of the local papers and remember writing stories on Emily and her successes. I was glad to find that she was still a really nice person and that fame definitely had not gone to her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment